Monday, October 25, 2004

Cappuccino, anyone?

Have u heard of Howard Schultz? Does not sound familiar rite? Ok, how about Starbucks?

Howard Schultz is the CEO and Co-Founder or Starbucks. Yes, he is the arsehole who makes the world pays RM 9.80 for a cup of coffee. Damn it. RM 9.80 is a hellova lots of money and we are PAYING this for a cup of coffee (willingly). What is wrong with the dirty-with-milo-smell-nescafe-tarik sold by our mamak? I curse Schultz every time I pays for my coffee. I hope you will do the same after reading this blog.

Anyway, I would say Howard Schultz is one of the BEST entrepreneurs or strategists in the world. When you can make the world pays RM 9.80 for a cup of coffee, you have to be the best.

But, to me, Tony Fernandez is even better (how can one better than BEST?). He makes everyone pays RM 19.90 to fly from Johor to KL when we HAD to pay RM 199. My IT guy can now fly back to Kuching 3 times a year (last time, he used to swim). Even my doctor friend flew to Johor Bahru and then took a taxi to Singapore (I told you, Dr are poor). I can also assure u that 9 out of 10 Malaysians who work in Singapore PRAY 10 times a day that AirAsia will get the lucrative KL-SIN route (but I am so afraid that my company will start asking us to fly AirAsia).

This is the power of AirAsia BRANDING and I am sure AirAsia will do well in the future. It has changed the skyline of Malaysia and how we fly in Asia. Many have forgotten how powerful this AirAsia brand is. It has been associated with 'low costs'. I will not be surprised if our government will one day rename our 'low costs housing' to 'AirAsia Housing'.

I also think AirAsia will win the price war game with Tiger Airway (whose CEO just chicken out), Value air etc etc. because AirAsia has a very lucrative DOMESTIC market. The others don’t.

Budget airlines industry is a dog eat dog world industry. In this game, big dogs usually win. But not all the time. I think AirAsia can win this war.

BTW, if I have a dog, I will name it ‘Schultz’. When I have a son, I will name it ‘Tony’.

What is the morale of the story? Ans:- If you are thinking of setting up a business, you better do one that reduce my spending.

Junior

(cap, dun say I have never mentioned you in my blog)
(liama, I cannot comment on the IPO of AirAsia. But I could tell you how much I believe in their management)

3 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Junior said...

What you said is what the business papers say...they hedge untill 2005 bla bla bla and they use $45 in their prospectus and they will miss their June 2005 forecast etc etc.

But I think it is an industry many would not be able to project accurately, inlcuding AirAsia themselves.

They simply do not know what is in store for them.

That is why I did not comment on the IPO (attractive or not, depend on PRICING) but comment on their brand and the dog....

:D

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Junior said...

What you said is what the business papers say...they hedge untill 2005 bla bla bla and they use $45 in their prospectus and they will miss their June 2005 forecast etc etc.

But I think it is an industry many would not be able to project accurately, inlcuding AirAsia themselves.

They simply do not know what is in store for them.

That is why I did not comment on the IPO (attractive or not, depend on PRICING) but comment on their brand and the dog....

:D

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please dun curse me everytime u drink coffee.
If I can find a new BF, will call him 'Junior' :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home