Saturday, October 09, 2004

Bush vs Kerry

I came to work late today (er...er...although it is not an official working day. But because I am a low rank tea lady, I have to come back to office) because I was watching Kerry hantaming Bush on TV.

Yes, that was the second presidential debate.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Kerry can actually talk better than Bush. I mean, I know Bush can't speak (like William Hung). But I used to think that Kerry is just someone who lived in the past. Vietnam la, show off his medal la, ALL GRANDMOTHER stories.

But this guy is a very sharp man.

The debate — the second of three — opened with a question to Kerry about whether he was too wishy-washy. Kerry turned that question into an attack against Bush, saying the president "didn't find weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, so he's really turned his campaign into a weapon of mass deception" by claiming that the four-term Massachusetts senator had changed his mind when he had not.

He ticked off Bush. And Bush fell into the trap and did exactly what he should not be doing.

Bush drew criticism in his first debate with Kerry last week for scowling at his opponent's criticism. The president's frustration showed again Friday night when he jumped from his seat for forceful answers. At one point, he interrupted moderator Charles Gibson after Kerry had said he was "not going to go alone like this president did" in Iraq. "I've got to answer this," Bush said, cutting off Gibson, then indignantly responded to Kerry. "You tell Tony Blair we're going alone."

To me, it is obvious that Kerry won the second debate again. He was calm. He was prepared. He came with a game plan and did exactly what his advisors wanted him to do. THIS MAN can be a politician.

Here are some of the things he said:-

"Mr. President, countries are leaving the coalition, not joining," Kerry said, asserting that eight countries are pulling out their troops from post-war Iraq.

Criticizing the president's decision to invade the Persian Gulf nation, Kerry said, "If we'd use smart diplomacy, we could have saved $200 billion and an invasion of Iraq and right now Osama bin Laden (news - web sites) might be in jail or dead. That's the war on terror."

"We did something that you don't know how to do," Kerry told Bush. "We balanced the budget. And we paid down the debt of our nation for two years in a row and we created 23 million new jobs at the same time." He accused Bush of driving up the biggest deficits in history.

The only thing I like about George Bush is his sense of humour. I like him as a person. Not as an arogant president of a hubris country. This is what he said:-

One questioner asked Bush whom he would pick if there were a Supreme Court vacancy. "I'm not telling you," the president said. "I really haven't picked anybody yet." He added lightheartedly, "Plus I want them all voting for me."

He should be a stand up comedian instead.

Junior


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home