Thursday, February 03, 2005

What took you so long?

You can read the full article here.....

Bayan Baru flats in Penang declared unsafe

PENANG: A five-storey walk-up block of flats in Bayan Baru has been declared unsafe for occupation after the building was found to have tilted more than one degree. The Penang Development Corporation (PDC) which issued the warning has advised the 180 residents to move out after receiving a report a few days ago from the Malaysian Public Works Institute (Ikram) which had been commissioned to carry out checks since 2003.......

******
He said cracks had appeared in Block H since 1989 but had never posed any structural problems. ...

******
“We are not interested in finding faults. Our priority now is to move the people to safety. That is why we have offered to buy back the units,'' he said. Ahmad Fuad said PDC would buy up all the 60 units at RM100 per sq ft and provide the affected tenants six months rental to ease their burden.

I appreciate what the government or rather PDC has done by offering compensation and moving out the tenants. But....(you knew that there would be a 'but' right?)...taking upto 2 years (since 2003) to carry out the check is unbelieveable...... this type of structural check usually take approx. 1 month.

What took you so long? (Liama, er....er......I am not toking about that one...put it back in...)

Can you imagine this:- you have been staying at this flat and there is this crack since 1989 (I am not an engineer, but even my cat knows that when there is a crack, it means that there is a high possibility that something is wrong with the settlement i.e land) and you have to continue staying there until 2003 when this dude from Ikram decided to come and check. The guy (Ikram lor) never come back for 2 years. Today, the government come and tell you that the flat where you have been staying, complaining (I bet they have started complaining since ages), worrying is actually unsafe.

I dun know about you. but if I were you, I will immediately kneel down and thank my lucky star, fast for seven days and become a vegetarian for the rest of my life for still being alive......

Must someone die before the government take swift action? Don't we need to be proactive? No? me just kay poh? or too paranoid?...no..? Is that just me or everyone feels the same?...it is just me isn't it?....

Junior

p/s I decided to be a bit serious today. Someone said that I am not serious ....ahem...this is a very serious blog.......cough... (but this Saturday, I will write about Everton and Liverpool...this morning I very geram because the BLUEs won last night. I have to start namo namo so that they will drop some points!) :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home