Saturday, March 26, 2005

Unemployed.....

Loc Kee, na....go register la.....

Star poll on unemployed graduates
The government has expressed concern over the growing number of unemployed graduates in the country. Latest statistics indicate that there could be as many as 80,000 of such graduates who are having difficulty finding jobs. If you are an unemployed graduate, please take part in this poll to help us get a better understanding of the issue.

I attended a career fair 3 years ago when I finished my postgrad. I still remember this scene vividly where the Vice President of a particular foreing co was preaching about his co. 5 min into his speech, he said 'BTW, anyone of you from the local university?'

Some 15-20 people raised their hands. VP continued' "ohhh...we don't hire local grads....".

Luckily I graduated from Bangladesh. But still, my heart was saying 'KNN, need to be soooo arrogant or not ah?'

But to be honest, I dun blame the VP. I still remember I got the first job before they asked me any questions. You know why? Because I wore a tie. The interviewer told me that many many who came that morning, came without a tie. and many of them came from the local U.

We already have a fucked up system, where a lot of people are doing courses like 'Tamadun Melayu". Friends, I am not against learning history and I appreciate the importance of it. I respect that. But if you bloody hell spent 3 years doing a degree in that, what sort of job you think you would get? Merger and Acquistion with JP Morgan issit?

What make the matter worse is that the uni aren't doing themselves any favour. They never taught any soft skills to this young boys and girls. They did not teach them how to look for a job, what are the do and don't during an interview, there is NO networking training and there isn't a strong alumni.

Why is Chicago Business School, Harvard, Stanford etc etc sooooo strong? because they teach you how to look for a job before you started learning anything academically. They also have very strong alumni. Alumni = Networking. They organise cocktail party every now and then, so that the old can meet the young to SHARE. That tradition continues for yearsssssss.

When was the last time your local uni called you up to attend an alumni meeting or party?

Do you want fries with that?

Junior

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Loc Kee said...

How i can go register arr...
1. i am not 1 of the 80,000. i still gat work leh.
2.i am not even graduated from local U. jus some Petaling Street College nia.

wa, those high high standard company don't want local student arr... they really look us so low meh!?!?
yeee... in this case, why still alot of people come to our country to stydu leh(like cina leh)? they sure they can get job
after go home not??


Hey tell you something; i quiet quiet chickenly started my blog leh, just 1 week nia. not so organise... so, decided not to tell you the site! wait till my mood good 1st then let you know la.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Junior said...

well, if you have read one of my post earlier, I think they come because we are ...dang dang dang dang...CHEAP. Cost! :D

Wei, tell where your blog is la...then I can go kau kau zan, moh bong chan...:D

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Junior saw a page at SchoolBuddies.com. that talked about Finding Old Friends that sent me here. Not sure if you traded links or not? So how long have you been running your own site? ttyl Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home